18 April 2010

Food Revolution Fridays - Blueberry Pie Redux

I know it's not Friday, but the blueberry pie post I wrote last week got some enthusiastic response! As such, I thought it deserved an update once the actual pie-making took place. Which happened today.

Hence, this little photo-essay:
First, have your toddler stir together the ingredients.



Make sure he has a beverage handy.

Keep him at it until it looks more or less like this.

Spread waxed paper on a damp surface.

Place pastry dough in the middle of the waxed paper.

Prepare for rolling out.

Unorthodox rolling pin technique or salute to the pastry gods? You be the judge!

Expire of the cuteness.

Remove top sheet of waxed paper,

and transfer rolled out dough to pie plate.

This is what the flour/sugar/lemon juice looked like, proportion wise, this time.

Pour the filling into the pie plate and set aside. Somewhere out of your toddler's reach, preferably, because if you don't...

...this is what happens.

I did mention that I like to overfill my pies, right? And you're not suffering double-vision from the length of this post. We had to make two pies for dinner tonight - 11 people.

Dot with butter. Mmmm, butter.

Not my best lattice top, but it'll do.

Have your toddler tidy up a little while pie's in the oven.

Finished product.


However, the possibility does exist that I may have used one or two (hundred) too many blueberries. You should see the bottom of my oven.

Off for dinner, pies in hand. Happy Sunday, everyone!

6 comments:

  1. That is most definitely an over-filled pie. But since it's overfilled with deliciousness who would complain? Not me. Hope your oven is self-cleaning.

    A Lot of Loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not self-cleaning, but we line the bottom with foil. This is, ahem, not the first time this has happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have clearly been rolling out pie crusts all wrong. Or, at minimum, the hard way. I must track down some waxed paper, stat, because the sprinkled flour is not cutting it. No sirree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, purists would probably scornfully tell me I'm Doing It Wrong, but I don't care. It works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, I thought I added a comment! This inspired me to make blueberry tarts, which I did and we promptly inhaled. SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete