05 November 2012

Things That Are True - I Want to Ride My Bicycle, I Want to Ride My Bike

I was sick today - managed to get His Impness to the school bus stop and return home before I revisited the contents of my digestive tract. Word to the wise: smoothie is not so smooth on the way back up.

When I'm sick is the only time I actually miss having a car.

I had, for logistical reasons, the use of HWSNBN's car all last week, and I was surprised at how much I hated it. Navigating traffic, looking for parking, having to always be aware of how much time was left on the meter. Ugh. I used to equate having a car with having freedom, but after almost a year and a half of cycling everywhere, I have to say I don't see myself ever going back. I've grown used to just locking up my bike and walking away, not worrying about it being broken into or getting towed. I've enjoyed the money I don't have to spend on parking. I like being able to take bike lanes or snake my way the through lines of cars waiting at a red light. I like feeling the wind on my face, and hearing what's going on around me. I resented the hell out of the car - despite the rain and miserable weather we had last week, I found myself wishing I was on my bike.

If I had a bell...


And HWSNBN's car has heated seats, so that's saying something.

But when I'm sick? A car seems like a really good idea. Fighting back puking on a bike is just not fun. Fighting back vomit in a car isn't fun either, but at least it feels like no one can see the ridiculous faces you're making.

This morning I made it home on my bike without breaching the confines of my digestive system by sheer force of will. You can call me Iron Jaw.

Hope tomorrow's a better day.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. That's no fun. I hope you're already feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete