28 February 2011

Things That Are True - Ten Truths for Living

When an idea hits, it's better to act immediately than overthink. I have an unfortunate habit of questioning and analyzing and talking myself out of actually accomplishing much. Today as I was looking around trying to sort out what to tackle first on the Neverending Do List of Doom, it occurred to me that the first thing, the very first thing I should do, is write down ten truths for living.

So I did.

I didn't overthink, I just wrote. And I tried hard not to pass judgment; a particular struggle for me. To compile, in ten minutes or less, a list of Things That Are True. Not Things That Should Be, not Things I Need To Do, not Things I'm Doing Wrong. Just Things That Are True For Me.




A bit of the actual page I scribbled them out on. And look: I thought "truths" and wrote "rules" before I changed it back. Gah.


So here they are:

  1. My physical environment affects my mental and emotional state and vice versa.
  2. Procrastination is the dream killer.
  3. Creating, making, doing are as crucial as breathing.
  4. Physical well being - adequate sleep, good food, and challenging activity are essential.
  5. The company of others inspires me and keeps me striving to do better.
  6. Letting go of attitudes, patterns, and physical things that don't serve me is necessary to moving forward.
  7. Being kind to others allows me to be kinder to myself.
  8. Learning daily motivates me.
  9. To learn, risk is necessary. Do the scary thing!
  10. There is profound joy in being present during the smallest of moments.


The demons I fight daily tell me that the list is trite, that there's nothing particularly interesting there. That no one will care, or relate. I'm going to hit publish anyway, because I think that's how I'll be able to shout down the you-can't and the you-shouldn't and the why-bother.

Prove my demons wrong. Tell me: what are your Ten Truths?

If you'd rather write a blog post than reply in the comments, let me know - I'd love to link to it!

3 comments:

  1. Alexis, I am going to accept your challenge, an item or two at a time. You have done the heavy lifting; I will merely paraphrase you. Today:
    #8. I haven't learned learned anything today yet - (except confirmation about what an interesting niece I have!) but here's what I learned yesterday: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly-Olbion. I checked this out because your great-great-grandfather referred to it in his journal and I spent a bunch of yesterday delving.

    And #10. Being present in the smallest of moments. Reflection - life is made up of the smallest of moments and it is a life's work to SEE as many as possible of them as joyful.

    Perhaps the rest will be in a blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alexis! This inspired me to try it. I think I still have a way to go to be true-er (and less wordy) but it's a start.
    Kamilla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list is fabulous, and absolutely NOT trite.

    Now, as for my 10 truths:

    1. I am Enough, just as I am.
    2. So are you.
    3. It is more important to me to have happy children and a happy me than a clean house.
    4. You don't have to be able to name your Thing to do your Thing.
    5. I have something valuable to offer others, even if I don't always believe it myself.
    6. Making something tangible, that I can hold, is the best way to snap myself out of a funk.
    7. Dance parties in the kitchen make the world go 'round.
    8. My negative thoughts can't hurt me.
    9. The perfect is the enemy of the good.
    10. You hear the most amazing stories from others when you're willing to ask.

    ReplyDelete