So I did.
I didn't overthink, I just wrote. And I tried hard not to pass judgment; a particular struggle for me. To compile, in ten minutes or less, a list of Things That Are True. Not Things That Should Be, not Things I Need To Do, not Things I'm Doing Wrong. Just Things That Are True For Me.
|A bit of the actual page I scribbled them out on. And look: I thought "truths" and wrote "rules" before I changed it back. Gah.|
So here they are:
- My physical environment affects my mental and emotional state and vice versa.
- Procrastination is the dream killer.
- Creating, making, doing are as crucial as breathing.
- Physical well being - adequate sleep, good food, and challenging activity are essential.
- The company of others inspires me and keeps me striving to do better.
- Letting go of attitudes, patterns, and physical things that don't serve me is necessary to moving forward.
- Being kind to others allows me to be kinder to myself.
- Learning daily motivates me.
- To learn, risk is necessary. Do the scary thing!
- There is profound joy in being present during the smallest of moments.
The demons I fight daily tell me that the list is trite, that there's nothing particularly interesting there. That no one will care, or relate. I'm going to hit publish anyway, because I think that's how I'll be able to shout down the you-can't and the you-shouldn't and the why-bother.
Prove my demons wrong. Tell me: what are your Ten Truths?
If you'd rather write a blog post than reply in the comments, let me know - I'd love to link to it!